There are tons of variations and options to make this soup your own. You can add extra veggies, different cheeses, garlic to your onions, a little nutmeg to the finished soup, green onions, sour cream, etc.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk and cook , adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots, sauteed onion, and celery; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
more instructions please visit: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235874/copycat-panera-broccoli-cheddar-soup/