This recipe is everything you want in a lasagna. It truly is every inch the rich and mouth-watering Italian treat. Layers and layers of it!
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 200 grams of semi-lean ground pork/mince (10%)
- 9 or more (depending on your lasagne tray) gluten-free lasagne sheets
- 400 grams of lean ground beef/mince (5-10% fat is ok, but you can use whatever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese (skip for dairy-free option)
- 2 tbsp butter (or dairy-free substitute)
- 500 ml whole milk (or rice milk -don’t use soy milk as it will lend a distinct flavour to the sauce)
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 50 g gluten-free flour (Learn how to mix your own gluten-free flour!)
- 200 ml of vegetable stock
- 4 small to medium carrots, grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (skip for acid-intolerants and people with Interstitial 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1/2 beetroot diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 large stick of celery, trimmed and chopped
- 5 medium or 4 large red capsicum (peppers) in strips
- 100 ml cream (can be skipped or substituted with dairy-free)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 2 laurel leaves
- 2 cups vegetable stock (free of MSG and yeast extract)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 c/400 f
- Chop all the vegetables and herbs, and place all the ingredients for the sauce, bar the cream, into a large pot. Bring to a boil, and let it simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
- Once the veggies have softened, set the pot aside, leaving the lid on.
- Start your bechamel by melting the butter in a heavy-based pot. Add the gluten-free flour, and stir vigorously with a wooden spatula until smooth. Add a splash of milk, and once again stir until smooth. You can use a whisk if you prefer. Keep repeating the process with the rest of the milk, until your bechamel is smooth, at which point you stir in the vegetable stock.
- Add the parsley, nutmeg and parmesan last, and stir it through. Set aside.
- Heat a pan with a bit of oil, and fry the beef and pork mince until it is cooked through.
- Once the meat is cooked you can pour the vegetable mix into a blender or food processor, and mix on high until the sauce is too your liking. Some like “lumps” and some like it smooth. It’s up to you! If you are using cream, add it last.
- Pour the tomato-free sauce over the browned mince, and stir it through. Put the meat sauce back on the heat for a few minutes, and let the juices soak into the meat. 5 minutes should do.
And now to the magic:
- Dig out your best lasagne tray. -I love mine! It was a gift from my friend, the wonderful Fiona (thanks Fi!) and it is absolutely awesome because it is made to perfectly fit the lasagne sheets! No more breaking them off to The Ultimate Gluten-Free Tomato-Free Lasagna Recipe! (includes dairy-free option
- Start by covering the base of the lasagne tray with the meat sauce. Top the meat with three gluten-free lasagne sheets, then cover the sheets with bechamel. Repeat the process until you’ve filled the tray. My tray makes three layers (9 sheets of gluten-free pasta), but yours might make more or less. The important thing is that your last layer is bechamel sauce, which you top with cheese.
- Mix up the three cheeses and spread it evenly over the last layer of bechamel sauce. If you have opted for the dairy-free or low-fat version, sprinkle bread crumbs over top instead. It really does taste awesome too!
- Cover the tray with tinfoil, and pop your delicious gluten-free tomato-free lasagna in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, you can remove the tin foil, and leave the lasagna in the oven until the cheese (or breadcrumbs) is beautifully golden!
- Serve piping hot, with my 5-minute Hot Gluten-Free Garlic Ciabatta and a fresh, crispy salad on the side!
more instructions please visit site: https://thankheavens.com.au/2015/08/13/the-very-best-gluten-free-tomato-free-lasagna-with-dairy-free-option/