The perfect easy weeknight meal made in the pressure cooker. Best of all, this healthier recipe for this popular takeout dish has the same amazing flavors as your local Chinese restaurant. Low carb, keto and paleo-friendly!
- 1 1/4 lb chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces (can also use chicken breasts)
- sea salt and black pepper , as needed
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 3-4 dried red chili peppers , to taste or leave out if desired; found in Asian supermarkets or the International section of a large chain grocery store
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum for low carb (can also use 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot starch for paleo)
- 1 tablespoon water , plus more as needed to thin out sauce
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup water OR chicken broth
SAUCE and MARINADE
- 6 tablespoons coconut aminos , gluten free tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit sweetener , or other sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3/4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes , plus more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion sliced thinly
MAKE THE SAUCE:
In a medium bowl, combine the coconut aminos, tomato paste, fish sauce, sesame oil, monk fruit sweetener, five spice powder, vinegar, red pepper chili flakes, ginger and garlic together.
PREP THE CHICKEN:
Season chicken with salt, pepper and 1/2 tablespoon of the sauce/marinade. Dip chicken in egg white and coat with almond flour. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
Turn your Instant Pot to SAUTE then add in oil. Once oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes, until a brown coating appears (chicken will not be cooked through which is fine). You may have to work in batches.
Once you’ve browned all the chicken, place back in the Instant Pot and pour in the remaining sauce along with 1/3 cup water (or chicken broth). Cover with lid.
Press the valve to SEALING and press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes. The Instant Pot will take some time to come to pressure. Once the 4 minutes is up, use a long spoon and push the valve to VENTING for a QUICK RELEASE.
Once all the pressure is released, carefully unlock the lid. Press the SAUTE button, then whisk the xanthum gum (or arrowroot starch) with 2 tablespoons water until combined and stir into the Instant Pot. Allow sauce to cook until it bubbles and thicken.
Add the dried chili peppers, if using. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper or red pepper chili flakes an / or add more water as needed to thin out sauce. Give everything a final tossing to coat well.
Transfer to a platter and serve warm on a large platter or over zoodles, cauliflower rice.
Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.
more instructions please visit: https://lifemadesweeter.com/instant-pot-general-tsos-chicken/