Delicious date squares with a chewy oatmeal crust. This is my grandmother’s recipe, which my whole family loves.
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups sifted pastry flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ pound pitted dates, diced
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pastry flour, salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and baking soda. Mix in the butter until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the dates, water, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Bring to a boil, and cook until thickened. Stir in lemon juice, and remove from heat. Spread the filling over the base, and pat the remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in preheated oven, or until top is lightly toasted. Cool before cutting into squares.
more informations please visit: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11298/grammas-date-squares/