This incredible, healthy Moroccan stew recipe makes a wonderful plant based dinner the whole family will love. Serve with naan for the perfect meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash (from about 2 pounds butternut squash)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- fresh juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Optional: a few basil leaves, chopped
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook a few minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
Next stir in cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne; cook for 30 seconds to a minute until spices are fragrant.
Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, butternut squash, lentils, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until butternut squash is tender and lentils are fully cooked.
Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro and basil, if desired. Serve with a dollop of yogurt if you aren’t vegan. Makes 4 servings – about 2 cups each.
more instructions please visit: https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/butternut-squash-chickpea-lentil-moroccan-stew/