These vegetarian lettuce wraps with quinoa and black beans are perfect if you’re looking for a healthy meal.
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil — or grapeseed oil
- 1 packages extra-firm tofu — (12- to 14-ounces), do not use silken
- 8 ounces baby bella cremini mushrooms — finely chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts — (8 ounces), drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes — omit if sensitive to spice
- 4 green onions — thinly sliced, divided
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce — from a romaine heart or butter lettuce leaves
- Optional for serving: grated carrots — additional red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again. Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions, grated carrots, and additional red pepper flakes as desired. Enjoy immediately.
more instructions please visit site: https://veganheaven.org/recipe/vegetarian-lettuce-wraps/