Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is the perfect comfort food and so easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz (790 g) diced tomatoes (or 6 fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Italian dried herbs, (or seasoning)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional) — adjust to suit your taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 oz (790 g) jar tomato puree (Passata)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 9oz (250 g) packet cheese tortellini (I use dried not fresh; choose any flavour you like)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly torn or chopped
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft, then add garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
Add tomatoes, Italian herbs (or seasoning) and chili flakes if using. Let tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes until juices have released and mixed through the flavours in the pot, then mix through chicken stock, tomato puree and tomato paste.
Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Partially cover pot with a lid; bring to a simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
Stir in the cream and tortellini, cook on medium-low until tortellini is just cooked, (about 6-7 minutes). Add the parmesan cheese, spinach and basil; stir until wilted. Serve warm.
more instructions please visit: https://cafedelites.com/creamy-tomato-tortellini-soup-with-spinach/