This recipe for super easy gingerbread cookies without molasses can be made completely from start to finish in less than 30 minutes! This slightly milder version of the classic cookie requires few ingredients and is a no-chill dough!
- 2 sticks (1cup, 8 oz, 224 gr) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes (important that the butter is cold so the dough doesn’t need to be chilled)
- 2 1/2 cups (20 oz, 560 gr) lightly packed dark brown sugar (you can also use light brown sugar for a more mild flavor)
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TBSP ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground clove (optional, but recommended)
- 1/2 tsp allspice (optional, but recommended)
- 4 cups (17 oz, 476 gr) all-purpose flour (measured properly)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (170 C). Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the cold cubed butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Mix the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until well combined. It won’t really be creamed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the egg, salt, ginger, cinnamon, clove, and allspice (if using) to the bowl. Mix for 1 minute more on medium speed until all the ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the bowl again.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the flour into the bowl. Mix just until combined. This will be a very thick dough, and you may need to knead it gently with your hands until it comes together.
- Gather the dough together into a ball and divide it in half. Lightly flour a clean work surface and start with half of the dough. Lightly flour the top of the dough and a rolling pin. Roll out to about 1/4″-1/3″ thick. Thicker will produce softer cookies and thinner will produce crispier cookies. Alternatively, you can roll the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- Cut out your cookies and place them on a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 F (170 C) for 9-12 minutes. I like my cookies cut out 1/3″ thick and baked for about 10 minutes. This produces cookies with slightly crispy edges and soft centers. Longer baking times will produce crispier cookies.
- If you are decorating the cookies with candies and sprinkles, as I did in the pictures, press them into the cookies when they are still hot. If you are frosting the cookies, allow them to cool completely first. I like to use this super simple 3 ingredient icing.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
more instructions please visit: https://bakerbettie.com/gingerbread-cookies-without-molasses/