This cabbage roll soup has all the same flavors as classic baked cabbage rolls, but with way less work!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 2 carrots peeled, quartered and sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until beef is browned, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the cabbage, carrots, beef broth, tomato sauce, rice, bay leaf and brown sugar to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf and discard.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Not a fan of ground beef? Try ground turkey instead!
- You can substitute brown rice for white rice, but that will require about 20 more minutes of cook time.
more instructions please visit: https://www.thewholesomedish.com/unstuffed-cabbage-roll-soup/