French Onion Soup meets juicy pan seared chicken! A gravy made with caramelised onion that tastes like your favourite French Onion soup. For the full French Onion experience, don’t skip the cheese! Make this with any type of chicken chops you want – or chicken!
- 4 – 5 chicken chops , boneless (~ 150-200g/5-7oz each) (Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large onions , sliced into rings (brown, yellow or white)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1.5 tbsp / 25g butter (or olive oil)
- 1 tsp oil , if needed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup/250ml beef broth/stock , low sodium
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 slices cheese (Note 2)
- Finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Caramelise Onions: Melt butter on medium (or medium low for strong stoves). Add onion and garlic, cook 15 minutes until golden brown and caramelised, stirring regularly (see video). Remove from skillet.
- Prepare Chops: Sprinkle chops with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sear: Add oil into skillet if needed. Turn heat up to high. Sear chops 1 minute on each side until nicely browned but not cooked inside. Remove onto plate.
- Gravy: Turn heat down to medium. Return onion into skillet, scraping in juices. Add flour, mix.
- Add beef broth and mix until incorporated. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer Chops in Sauce: When it comes to a simmer, give it a big stir then add chicken chops.
- Top chops with cheese, cover with lid to melt and finish cooking the chops through – only 3 minutes for thin chops like I’m using. Internal temp of 160F/70C for no pink (or 155F/68C for blush of pink).
- Garnish: Remove lid, sprinkle with rosemary. Spoon over French Onion Gravy, then sprinkle with more rosemary.
more instructions please visit site: https://www.recipetineats.com/french-onion-smothered-pork-chops/