Sausage rolls are a staple of both British and Irish food. They’re so common that it is easy to forget what clever things they are: A buttery puff pastry baked to golden perfection gives a delightful flakiness and crisp texture to accompany the hearty meat filling made out of eggs, sausage, onions, and spices.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 pounds sausage meat
3 medium eggs (free-range if possible), divided
Ground black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
2 tablespoons flour, for rolling out pastry
25 ounces puff pastry or shortcrust pastry
cheese for sprinkling
- Gather the ingredients except cheese
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil on medium heat and add the onion to cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until it starts to lightly brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sausage meat, cooked onion, and 2 of the eggs. Season with a couple of pinches of black pepper and a good sprinkling of salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly and evenly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry into two 8- by 10-inch rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 2 long strips (4 total) and rest them in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the cold pastry onto 2 lightly greased baking pans. In the center of each pastry, form the sausage meat into a long sausage the length of the pastry strip. Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl and lightly brush the edges of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over the meat filling to form long rolls. Flip the sausage roll over so the seam is underneath. Lightly brush the top surface with egg.
- Cut the rolls into 1 1/2-inch lengths. Or vary the length to the style of roll you want.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Leave them to cool before packing them into your picnic basket or lunch box, or simply eat them right away. Enjoy.
I added cheese as a topping before putting it in the oven.
more instructions please visit: https://www.thespruceeats.com/great-british-sausage-roll-recipe-435702