Bee Sting Cake
7 TABLESPOONS UNSALTED BUTTER
1/2 CUP HONEY
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
1/2 CUP SLICED ALMONDS
1 3/4 CUPS + 1 TABLESPOON ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TABLESPOON BAKING POWDER
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
4 OUNCES (1 STICK) BUTTER, SLIGHTLY SOFTENED
5 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
1/4 CUP HONEY
2 LARGE EGGS
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
1/2 CUP MILK
1/3 CUP CORNSTARCH
1 1/2 CUPS MILK
1/4 CUP SUGAR
1 LARGE BEATEN EGG, ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 TEASPOON ALMOND EXTRACT (OPTIONAL)
1 CUP HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
2 1/2 TEASPOONS CREAM OF TARTAR
1/4 CUP CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- For the topping: in a medium saucepan, melt butter and honey. bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. add vanilla and almonds, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the cake: heat oven to 375 degrees. cut a parchment circle to fit the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. coat pan bottom and sides with cooking spray. place parchment circle in bottom of pan.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. in a large bowl or stand mixer, cream 4 ounces butter until fluffy, about 2 minutes. gradually beat in 5 tablespoons sugar, about 3 minutes. add 1/4 cup honey and beat 1 more minute.
- Blend in eggs, one at a time, beating after each. add vanilla and half the flour mixture, and mix briefly. scrape down sides of bowl. add milk, then remaining flour, beating briefly after each addition.
- Scrape into prepared pan, spreading evenly. sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour, then pat top of cake smooth with your hand. pour topping over batter, gently spreading evenly. place pan on a baking sheet and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. do not overbake. cool cake in pan completely on a wire rack.
- For the filling: in the top of a double boiler over medium heat, combine cornstarch, milk and 1/4 cup sugar. stir constantly until thickened, at least 3 minutes. add in 1 beaten egg and keep stirring constantly for about 2 minutes until very thick. remove from heat and stir in almond extract, if using.
- Chill in an ice-water bath, stirring occasionally. place plastic wrap in direct contact with surface of pastry cream and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Whip the cream with the cream of tartar and confectioners’ sugar until stiff. add a dollop of cream to the pastry cream and stir to lighten the cream. then fold in remaining whipped cream. refrigerate while you prepare to assemble the cake.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cooled cake and remove the springform ring. invert cake onto a plate. peel off the parchment paper and invert again on a serving platter, so the almond side is showing. cut cake in half horizontally and fill with pastry cream. refrigerate until ready to serve.
more informations please visit: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/bee-sting-cake-recipe-5705238