Freshly baked, buttery homemade soft pretzels ready in less than 45 minutes.
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
Baking Soda Bath
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
For the Topping
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar into warm water. Stir together and let sit for five minutes.
- Add melted butter, salt and flour. Using a dough hook attachment with a stand mixer, turn on to a slow speed to incorporate ingredients. Mix for two to three minutes. Dough should start to pull off the sides of the bowl easily. If dough is too wet, add a bit more flour. If the dough is too dry, add a bit of water. Turn speed up to medium speed and let mixer knead dough until smooth for about 5 minutes.
- Turn mixer off. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a hand towel or piece of foil. Let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- While dough is resting, prepare baking soda bath. In a 2 quart sized sauce pan, bring two cups of water to a boil. Turn off heat. Add baking soda. Sir gently. Let sit while shaping dough.
- Pull dough out of bowl and place on work surface or counter. Knead the dough lightly and form into a ball. Using a pizza cutter or knife, slice dough into 8 equal pieces. (Similar to cutting a pizza.)
- Take one mini dough ball slice and roll out gently into a long, slender rope, approximately 24 inches in length.
- Pick up each ends of the dough and shape into a ‘U’. Take both tips and twist once. Gently pull the tips over and down to each side of the pretzel base.
- Place each pretzel into baking soda bath for 30 seconds. Remove from water with a large, flat slotted spatula, letting excess water drip. Place pretzel onto lined parchment cookie sheet. Repeat each step for the remaining seven pretzels.
- Prepare an egg wash by cracking one large egg into a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of cold water. Whisk together until well combined. Brush egg wash onto each pretzel.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Remove from heat and place onto cookie rack to cool. Melt one tablespoon of butter and brush melted butter onto each pretzel. Add coarse salt as desired.
- Store left overs in freezer. To reheat, place pretzel on microwave safe plate. Brush top of pretzel lightly with water. Add coarse salt. Heat in microwave for 40-50 seconds.
More informations please visit: https://www.simplerevisions.com/homemade-soft-pretzels/