This Southern-style Country Fried Chicken is easy to make with chicken breasts and staple ingredients! Serve it with gravy and mashed potatoes for an old fashioned comfort food that your family will love!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk, see notes for substitutions
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, plain or Italian
- 2 ½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
Cover each chicken breast with saran wrap. Use a meat tenderizer and pound the chicken flat, about 1/2 inch thick.
Pat the chicken completely dry. Combine the whisked eggs, salt, and buttermilk. Add the chicken and marinade for 1-2 hours, (or overnight). The longer it marinades, the more tender it will be.
When the chicken is nearly done marinating, prepare your mashed potatoes and keep warm while the chicken fries.
Combine ingredients for chicken gravy or brown gravy in a small skillet ahead of time. When the last piece of chicken is frying, bring the gravy to a boil and thicken with cornstarch + water as instructed in the recipe.
Transfer the marinated chicken to the breading mix. Flip it over several times and work the breading into all of the little nooks and crannies until it’s completely dry and coated.
*Don’t bread all of the chicken at once. Prepare each piece right before you’re ready to fry it.
Add enough oil to a skillet to cover the chicken by half and heat it to 350°. Use a cast iron skillet if possible as it conducts heat the best for frying.
Carefully add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, once the outside edges begin to brown up nicely, carefully flip with a thin spatula
Once browned on each side, carefully transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow excess oil to drip out from the bottom. This prevents the bottom from getting soggy.
Repeat for all chicken breasts and serve with mashed potatoes and gravy!
- ½ cup milk + 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 4 tablespoons milk + enough plain yogurt to make 2 cups.
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar + enough milk to make 2 cups. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice + enough milk to make 2 cups. Let sit for 10 minutes. It’ll look curdled. Stir to combine.
more instructions please visit: https://thecozycook.com/country-fried-chicken/