We reimagined this family classic using store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 [10-oz.] onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 medium garlic cloves)
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled plum tomatoes, tomatoes coarsely crushed by hand and juices reserved
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound uncooked ziti
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (about 2/3 cup), divided
- 8 ounces pre-shredded low-moisture whole-milk mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups), divided
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add plum tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil over medium. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld and sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add ziti, and boil until just al dente, according to package directions. Drain and return ziti to pot.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Add tomato mixture, shredded chicken, and basil to ziti; stir to coat thoroughly. Pour half of ziti mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 cup of the Parmesan and 1 cup of the mozzarella. Top with remaining ziti mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let rest 10 minutes. Garnish with additional basil before serving.
more instructions please visit: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/baked-ziti-with-chicken